The Kalamazoo Conservation District will be screening well water samples for nitrate during the week of August 23 through August, 26, 2021. The screening is sponsored by the Kalamazoo Conservation District and the Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP). It is paid for by funds generated from Michigan pesticide and fertilizer registration and tonnage fees. There is NO fee to participants for this service. Samples from drinking water wells will be screened for nitrate and nitrite. The screening is open to everyone who uses a personal well for drinking water. Bring your sample to the Conservation District office between 9:00 am to 4:30 pm at 5950 Portage Road in Portage. Additional information and forms are available below.
Samples from drinking water wells will be screened for nitrate and nitrite. Bring your sample to the Conservation District tree sale tent located at our office at 5950 Portage Rd. Suite B., in Portage. Please fill out the form below and bring with your sample. This service is for private drinking water wells only. Public water supplies are tested regularly. Please do not bring samples from public water supplies, non-drinking water sources or surface water. Only drinking water well samples will be tested. You do not have to use a special bottle for this screening. Any small clean jar will work—one ounce of water is enough.
Please follow the directions below to sample your well. Collect samples just before getting them to the sample drop-off. Samples should be less than 48 hours old for a valid nitrate result.
1. Fill out the water Sample Information Sheet which is available below or available at office when sample is delivered.
2. Pick a tap that supplies water that has not run through any treatment devices (water softener, carbon filter, etc.). An outdoor faucet often works well.
3. Run the water for 10-15 minutes before collecting the sample. This will give the pump time to flush the water pressure tank and plumbing so you can collect a valid sample.
6. Keep the sample cool until you deliver your sample for screening.
5. Your sample can usually be screened while you wait. If staff are not available, you will be called with your results. Please include a convienient phone number on your sample information form where you can be reached.
Please feel free to call the Kalamazoo Conservation District Office at 269-775-3365 if you have any questions or need more information.
09:00 am - 04:00 pm
Due to the pandemic, we are open by appointment only. Please call BEFORE you visit so that someone can assist you.
Connect with us on Facebook to learn about upcoming projects and volunteer opportunities.